Monday, April 27, 2009

The 80's are Relevant at the Henry Ford Museum

I had the privilege of visiting the Henry Ford Museum when I took my wife and mother in-law to visit their ailing relative in Dearborn, MI, this past early April. Many men, older than myself, have always enjoyed seeing well preserved cars that were shipping new when they were young. Back in the 80's, while in my early and mid 20s, I had a passion for a lot of things, including cars that were progressive, for their time, for their design and reliability.




The Henry Ford Museum had two cars that really stood out to me in the 1980s – a 1983 Honda Accord and a 1986 Ford Taurus. They were both on display, pristine and new looking, and it made me feel like I had gone back in time. I always thought that these models were unique compared to the disparaging products GM was shipping at that time. Honda raised the bar of consumer expectations for what a car should be and Ford responded to the new customer expectations with the Taurus, which was the number one selling family sedan in the late 80s.

No comments: